Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Unschooling?!


Sometimes it is so hard to unschool.  It sounds too easy to be true, just drop forced curriculum, learn what ever you want to, live as a cohesive family unit.   But as soon as I try, I'm bombarded by all the voices in my head telling me, "You're doing it wrong…"  "Your kids will end up failures…"  "They won't be happy with their lives and it's all because you thought they should be treated like humans and live free, democratic lives…"  Or worse, "They won't know the difference between there, their and they're…"  

And then my kids want to spend the majority of a day playing video games.  And even though we're all feeling sick, it still feels like I shouldn't be letting them just play video games for hours at a time.  

But then they start asking questions about the video games that I never thought of.  Like, "Is this really what Tokyo looks like at night?"  "Where is Japan?"  "Why do the Japanese and Chinese like dragons so much?"  "What's a Yin Yang?" "What's a ninja?"  What's a samurai?"  

Then we get to look up the answers to all these questions (or the beginnings of the answers) and talk about them.  We look up answers on several different sites to cross reference.  

And then it feels like, "Of course you should play video games all day."


No comments:

Post a Comment