Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Workin' for the weekend


Sometimes homeschooling is scary.  Like when we spend a week with no social interaction besides grandparents and librarians.  I'm scared to publish that last sentence because of the stereotype that homeschoolers aren't properly "socialized."  Or when my kids act weird in public.  Sometimes I think, "Maybe they're right!  Maybe my kids would be better off in school."
But then I think about what their lives would be like if they were in school.
Sure, they would be around more kids, but when my older son was in kindergarten he only had one friend in his class, and this friend was also a bit of a bully.
And then I think about schedule, and how much work out side of school the family is expected to put in, but the school itself isn't really working for any child's best interests, because it has to simply contain all those children and try to make them know some of the same things by a certain date so they can pass a test.
I'd rather have two happy weird kids excited about their lives than two worried normal kids waiting for the weekend.
When our oldest was in kindergarten we would wake him up to get ready for school, and he would ask us, "Is it Saturday yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment